Upper & Lower Yuba River Fly Fishing – Guides
Located near the towns of Nevada City & Grass Valley, California.
The Lower Yuba River is the combined flows from the North, Middle, and South Yuba Rivers. The North Fork watershed drains off the Yuba pass and descends into Bullard's Bar reservoir, outflow continues below the dam and meets up with the Middle Fork which comes from Jackson Meadows Reservoir. After merging together these two forks meet up with the South Fork Yuba which originates from the west slope of Donner Summit.
All three forks flow into Englebright Reservoir, and it's below this impoundment that the Lower Yuba river starts its journey some 20 miles into the Feather River near Yuba City. We guide both the Upper Forks of the Yuba River for trout from spring until fall, and in the fall & winter we guide the Lower Yuba River for trout and steelhead. The dry fly fishing on the Lower Yuba River is the best you can find during the winter season in the state of California. The guide we work with lives in the area and is on the river all the time, so rest assure you’ll be in good hands out there. We float and wade these rivers and all gear is included as well as flies and tippet.
$450 One or Two Anglers Per Day Includes Lunch, Gear and Flies.
Your fly fishing guide trip experience will be a great one in the gold country of the Sierra Nevada’s.
Lodging Nevada City
- Deer Creek Inn
- Red Castle Lodge
- Piety Hill Cottages & Bed n Breakfast
Lodging Grass Valley
- Holiday Lodge
- Pines Motel & Cottages
- Grass Valley Courtyard Suites
LIST OF FLIES FOR FLY FISHING LOWER YUBA RIVER TROUT
- E/C Caddis – 14, 16 & 18
- Parachute Adams 12, 14 & 16
- Yellow Stimulator 6 & 8
- Sparkle Comparadun PMD 14 & 16
- Pink Hackle Stacker 14
- Skwala Stone 10 & 12
- Black Copper John 16 & 18
- Red Copper John 16 & 18
- Micro Mayfly 18
- Pheasant Tails 16 & 18
- Z Wing Caddis Green 14
- Poxy Back pmd 14 & 16
- Poxyback Hares Ear 10
- Rubber Legs Black 6 & 8
LIST OF FLIES FOR FLY FISHING LOWER YUBA RIVER STEELHEAD
- SALMON FRY/FINGERLINGS 6 & 8
- OLIVE SLUMPBUSTER 4 & 6
- BLACK BUNNY LEECH 4 & 6
- PEACHY KING BEADS 8mm
GEAR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR LOWER YUBA RIVERS
- Fish species: Trout & Steelhead
- Fishing season: Open all year. Closed from Highway 20 Bridge upstream to Englebright Dam from August 31st to December 1st. Barbless Hooks only.
- Nearest airport: Sacramento
- Recommended fly fishing leader: 9 foot leader to 3 & 4x for nymphing, 13.5 foot supple leader for dry fly presentations.
- Recommended fly fishing tippet: 4X or 5X Tippet For Nymphing or Dries.
- Best fly fishing rod: 9 foot – 5 or 6 weight, 7 wt for steelhead.
- Best floating fly line: WF Rio Perception Fly Line
- Best sinking fly line: Rio Streamer Tip 4ips
- Fly lines: Floating, Sink Tip