Truckee River & Surrounding Areas
- Truckee River – California & Nevada.
- Full Day Wading Guide Trips Includes All Gear, Flies And Streamside lunch.
- Float Trips On The Truckee River For One Angler.
The Truckee River flows out of Lake Tahoe, California some 120 miles north east through the town of Reno, Nevada and eventually empties out into Pyramid Lake. Lake Tahoe was called the Salmon Trout River in 1844 by John C Fremont and Kit Carson for the huge cutthroat that ran up stream out of Pyramid Lake. The river was named after a Paiute Chief that save a immigrant party who were lost in the Nevada desert and led them to the Truckee River and on up to through Donner Pass. In honor of how he saved the group, they named the river after what they thought he was pronouncing his name as Chief Truckee.
Our Head Guide Chris Wharton has been guiding the Reno/Tahoe & outlying areas for over 18 yrs. All our other guides are born and raised in the region and have tremendous experience on all rivers they are guiding on.
LIST OF FLIES FOR FLY FISHING Truckee River
- E/C Caddis 14, 16, 18
- Skwala Stone 10, 12
- March brown parachute 14
- Sparkle Dun pmd 14, 16
- Green Drake emerger 10
- RP ant 10, 12
- Club Sandwich Hopper 8, 10
- Rubber Leg Copper John 14, 16, 18
- Zebra Midge 16, 18
- Red & Flesh San Juan worm 12
- Crayfish patterns 6, 8
- WD-40 18
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR Truckee River
- Fish species: Trout
- Fishing season: First Saturday In April Until November 15th.
- Nearest airport: Reno, NV or Sacramento
- Recommended fly fishing leader: 9 foot leader 0X
- Recommended fly fishing tippet: 4X or 5X Tippet For Nymphing or Dries
- Best fly fishing rod: 9 foot – 3, 4 or 5 weight
- Best floating fly line: WF Rio Fly Line
- Best sinking fly line: 10 for sink tip 150 grn.
- Fly lines: Floating
$425 One or Two Anglers Per Day Includes Lunch, Gear and Flies.
Ask Us About Fly Fishing Steelhead & Salmon In Northern California Coastal Rivers On Up Into Oregon And Lodging too. We also offer trips on the Sandy, Clackamas, Metolius, Deschutes, Rogue, Umpqua Rivers, McKenzie, Santiam, the Fall River, Crooked, and most of the Cascade Lakes in Oregon. Upper, Middle & Lower Klamath, Trinity, Smith & Eel Rivers in Northern California.
- Northstar Lodge
- The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe