Chetco River Oregon Fly Fishing – Guides
The Chetco River runs some 54 miles to the Pacific Ocean. An amazing glacial based river that is derived from Chetco Peak and runs through the Rogue National Forest almost its entire length.
Several predominant settlers and pioneers visited the river and its region like Sir Francis Drake in 1579 or Jedediah Smith 1828 and later George Vancouver. This river could be one of the most beautiful rivers on the Pacific Northwest to catch steelhead on. Steelhead & salmon are running their course annually on this river in their silver and chrome colors on a river that is gin clear and turquoise colored. These steelhead and salmon exemplify the word “fight” with the two fisted spirit of America behind them. These steelhead trout are special on the Chetco River and our guides know how to catch and land them on fly rods nymphing and swinging flies with a spey or a 7 or 8 weight fly rod.
$475 One or Two Anglers Per Day Includes Lunch, Gear and Flies.
LIST OF FLIES FOR FLY FISHING CHETCO RIVER
Traditional Swing Flies Using Spey Rods
- Lady Caroline
- Skewey’s Spawning Purple
- Golden Demon
- Fire Ant
- Green Butted Skunk
- Mojo Magic
- Purple Peril
- Purple Matuka
- Freight Train
- Egg Sucking Leech
Nymphs with Indicator On 7 & 8 Wt. Fly rods 9 to 10 feet
- Black Rubber Legs 8 & 6
- Brown Rubber Legs 10 8 & 6
- Prince Nymph 12
- Amber Prince 12 & 14
- Gorman Eggs 14
- Fox Poopah Beaded Tan 14
- Poxy Back Hairs Ear 10 & 8
- Pink Beads 10 & 8 MM Treated w/ Revlon Nail Polish
- Psycho Prince 14
- October Caddis 10
- Black Copper John 14 & 12
- Red Copper John 14 & 12
- Various Eggs In Various Colors 10 mm & 8 mm
GEAR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR CHETCO RIVER
- Fish species: Steelhead & Salmon
- Fishing season: December through March
- Nearest airport: Crescent City, CA.
- Recommended fly fishing leader: 9 foot leader 0X
- Recommended fly fishing tippet: 1X or 0X Tippet for streamers or Spey. 3X 2X Tippet For Nymphing
- Best fly fishing rod: 9 & 10 foot - 7 or 8 weight
- Best floating fly line: WF Rio Fly Line for Nymphing
- Best sinking fly line: Skagit Heads and a Variety of Sink Tips T8, T11, T14 in 10’-12’ Lengths.
- Fly lines: Sink Tip or Floating Line
GREAT CHETCO MAP
Ask Us About Fly Fishing Steelhead & Salmon In Northern California Coastal Rivers On Up Into Oregon And Lodging too. We also offer trips on the Sandy, Clackamas, Metolius, Deschutes, Rogue, Umpqua Rivers, McKenzie, Santiam, the Fall River, Crooked, and most of the Cascade Lakes in Oregon. Upper, Middle & Lower Klamath, Trinity, Smith & Eel Rivers in Northern California.
When you hook a Chetco Steelhead for the first time you will never forget that incredible experience, well be right there with you to help you land your great catch with a huge net of course!